I found out about this dish while searching for gnocchi recipes. I ended up finding an Italian account where there was no recipe but just a photo and the name of this dish and I thought it looked delicious. I found out it is a simple recipe with tomato sauce, gnocchi, cheese and basil so ideal for a midweek meal. I love @morrisons Savers range, the mozzarella is amazing and fantastic value at 45p!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
2 tins of plum tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
2 x 500g fresh gnocchi
Fresh basil leaves
125g mozzarella, cut into cubes
A good grating of Parmesan
1) Fill the kettle and boil.
2) Preheat the oven to 180oC.
3) Heat the oil in an ovenproof dish and gently fry the garlic for 1 minute until soft.
4) Add the tomatoes and break them up with a spoon.
5) Sprinkle in the oregano and season. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
6) Pour the boiled water from the kettle into a pan, add salt and the gnocchi and simmer for 2 minutes until the gnocchi starts to float.
7) Drain and gently stir into the tomato sauce.
8) Scatter torn basil leaves and the mozzarella over the top.
9) Finish with a good grating of parmesan and bake in the oven for approx 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
10) Serve with a salad.