The @morrisons frozen soffritto mix in this easy bolognese sauce is a game changer. Onions, celery and carrot all diced and ready to cook, makes cooking time so much quicker. I use it in a number of other dishes too when I’m in a rush like minestrone soup and sausage cassoulet which I’m making later this week.
2 tbsp olive oil
140g diced pancetta
750g beef and pork mince
350g frozen soffritto mix
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
150ml red wine
2 bay leaves
3 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
150ml semi-skimmed/full fat milk
1. Fry the pancetta in the olive oil until golden.
2. Add the mince and break down with a spoon. Cook on a medium heat until the meat has browned.
-Spoon out some of the fat if you feel there is surplus in the pan.
3. Stir in the frozen soffritto mix and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further minute. Season.
5. Turn up the heat to high and pour in the red wine.
6. Then add the thyme, bay leaves and 3 tins of chopped tomatoes and stir.
7. It will seem quite a lot of tomatoes at this point but allow it to simmer for 10 minutes and the sauce will reduce.
8. Pour in the magic ingredient- milk and stir. This takes the sauce to another level making it richer.
9. It will again seem very saucy 🤣 but cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for up to 1 hour (keep an eye on it, stirring occasionally to stop it catching.)
10. Taste and adjust seasoning.
11. Serve with spaghetti and a good grating of Parmesan.